Saturday, October 18, 2014

Barcelona 4

Went back to Sergi's without a plan for the afternoon and he suggested going up Tibidabo. A mountain on the edge of town with a big church and amusement park on the top. A digression here: I've read all the books by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, a Spanish writer from Barcelona , all set in the city in the 1940s. Many of the iconic sights here are referenced in the books, including Tibidabo, so this was somewhat of a pilgrimage though the city bears little resemblance to the Barcelona where his books are set. Getting there inoved first the metro, then a transfer to a train followed by a funicular up the mountain and, finally a bus to the top.

And what a fabulous view! After the warmth of the city, I wasn't prepared for the cold wind but it was so lovely I spent quite a while. One can go all the way to the top of the church by elevator where there is a 360 degree view, from the ocean to the south to Monserrate to the north. The sun was setting and the light was great

Temple Expiatori del Sagrat Cor
Monserrate
I regret that I didn't make it there. There is a monastery on the top and wonderful views, I imagine, but it's a two and a half hour trip and I left it too long.
That night Sergi and I went out for dinner at a tapas place and had a tasty sampling of thin slices of ham, peppers with salt, brochettes, and conch with some very good red wine. Wish I'd remembered my camera. You'll just have to use your imagination.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment